GCN's Tom Royston will be speaking at the LAG Housing Law Conference on the subject of "Welfare reform and housing law". The Conference takes place on 29.6.16 in London.
Other speakers include
- Professor Suzanne Fitzpatrick, Heriot-Watt University Panel Chair of Crisis reportThe homelessness legislation: an independent review of the legal duties owed to homeless people
- Connor Johnston, Garden Court Chambers
- Andrew Brookes, Anthony Gold Solicitors
- Diane Astin and Claire Sephton, University of Westminster
- Sam Madge-Wyld, Arden Chambers
- David Cowan, Doughty Street Chambers
- Justin Bates, Arden Chambers
Tom Royston (call 2012) is a barrister at Garden Court North Chambers and specialises in social security, discrimination, housing and immigration law. Tom has appeared in a number of landmark cases, including in the Supreme Court, many of which have succeeded in having widespread positive effect including one of the leading Bedroom Tax cases, a significant challenge to a Council Tax Reduction Scheme, and the first welfare rights case ever to get exceptional Legal Aid funding under LASPO. Before coming to the Bar, Tom worked in Citizens Advice Bureaux and a Law Centre, where he specialised in social welfare law and was the Sheila McKechnie Foundation UK Consumer Campaigner of the Year 2009.