Head of Administration and Finance
Salary: £49,500 p.a.
(rising to £52,000 p.a. over 5 years)
Garden Court North Chambers (Chambers) occupies modern spacious premises in Blackfriars House, a beautiful 1920’s building in the heart of Manchester. Chambers enjoys free use of the Blackfriars House café/lounge and architecturally designed rooftop garden with panoramic views.
Recent staffing re-structure and expansion has resulted in the creation of this exciting and challenging new permanent full time post.
All Chambers’ staff salaries are reviewed annually; in addition to these reviews, the post will attract a guaranteed annual increment of £500 p.a. for the first 5 years.
Directly responsible to the members of Chambers the HoAF will:
- Work alongside and in conjunction with Chambers’ Head of Practice Management (HoPM) to jointly manage and continue to develop Chambers as a human rights focussed chambers of quality and vision.
- Manage the overall financial and administrative operation of Chambers.
- Review, refine and deliver a range of business, strategic and financial plans for Chambers in order to ensure long-term sustainability and development.
- Build and maintain a strong and efficient team of administrative staff.
- Maintain the highest standards of financial planning and efficiency, in conjunction with Chambers’ accountants where appropriate.
- Monitor and control Chambers’ income and expenditure and efficiently manage Chambers’ finances within the terms of the approved budget(s), reporting in detail on all financial matters on a monthly basis.
- Prepare draft annual budgets.
- Closely monitor and control all day to day financial affairs, ensuring prompt creditor and debtor payments and control of capital expenditure.
- In conjunction with the HoPM, ensure the efficient operation of all billing and fee collection procedures.
- Be responsible for all banking requirements and liaison.
- Be responsible for all tax, national insurance, payroll and pension administration.
- Oversee the successful financial and practical administration of Chambers’ seminars and training events.
- Provide members of Chambers with financial information required for their own tax and professional insurances.
Premises and equipment
- Be responsible for all contractual obligations and negotiations relating to premises and equipment, including service and maintenance contracts.
- In conjunction with the HoPM, review and advise Chambers as to IT requirements and costings. Liaise with IT service providers to develop and maintain all IT services at the level of maximum efficiency.
- Expand the use of Chambers’ facilities by third party organisations to further develop professional relationships and income.
- Ensure that all necessary insurances are in place at all times.
Staff development and line management
- In conjunction with HoPM liaise with and report to the Staffing Sub-Committee of Chambers with regard to all staffing matters.
- Line management of the Fees Manager and Fees Assistant
- In conjunction with the HoPM, line management of the Marketing and Communications Co-ordinator and Office Assistants.
- In conjunction with the HoPM, develop and monitor the effective operation of staff flexible working and overtime.
- Supervise and motivate staff, including initiating and supporting professional training and development.
- Ensure the implementation and maintenance of governance arrangements to comply with all relevant legislation and best practice to deliver an efficient, secure and accountable organisation. This includes managing Chambers’ GDPR compliance.
- Advise and assist members of Chambers in relation to governance issues including data protection compliance, professional insurance and professional registration/training requirements.
- Research and advise on potential changes to the governance of the company (e.g. creation of a service company, etc)
- Be responsible for devising and implementing environmental policies.
- Would suit ACCA, ACA, CIMA, SAT or QBE accountant/administrator, preferably with experience in the legal sector.
- Extensive relevant experience in financial and organisational administration.
- Experienced and effective team leader and team member.
- Imaginative, self-motivated and forward thinking.
Applications should be by letter and a detailed C.V. to :
Nina Grahame QC
Garden Court North Chambers
Informal discussion by email or phone is welcome.
Please e mail Pete Weatherby QC pweatherbygcnchambers.co.uk,
remembering to include your mobile number for a return call.
Closing date for applications : 1st June 2019
Chambers operates an equal opportunities policy and is happy to make reasonable adjustments to enable disabled candidates to demonstrate their suitability for the above position.