Salary: £33,000 to 38,000 p.a. negotiable depending on experience
Garden Court North Chambers occupies modern spacious premises in Blackfriars House, a beautiful 1920’s building in the heart of Manchester. GCN enjoys free use of the Blackfriars House café/lounge and architecturally designed rooftop garden with panoramic views.
Recent staffing re-structure and expansion has resulted in the creation of this exciting and challenging new permanent full time or part-time post.
All GCN staff salaries are reviewed annually.
Working alongside the Head of Practice Management (HoPM) and the Finance Manager (FM) and directly responsible to the members of GCN Chambers, the Office Manager will:
- Manage the overall administrative operation of GCN.
- Review, refine and deliver a range of business and strategic plans for GCN in order to ensure long-term sustainability and development.
- Build and maintain a strong and efficient team of administrative staff.
Premises and equipment
- In conjunction with the FM, be responsible for all contractual obligations and negotiations relating to premises and equipment, including service and maintenance contracts.
- In conjunction with the HoPM/FM, review and advise Chambers as to IT requirements and costings. Liaise with IT service providers to develop and maintain all IT services at the level of maximum efficiency.
- Expand the use of GCN’s facilities by third party organisations to further develop professional relationships and income.
- Ensure that all necessary insurances are in place at all times.
- In conjunction with the HoPM, liaise with and report to the Staffing Sub-Committee of Chambers (SSC) with regard to all staffing matters.
- Line management of the Office Assistant and temporary members of staff.
- In conjunction with the HoPM and the SSC, develop and monitor the effective operation of staff flexible working and overtime.
- Supervise and motivate staff, including initiating and supporting professional training and development.
- Collate necessary information for the purpose of Payroll and then send the same to Chambers’ accountants and deal with any issues arising.
- Ensure the implementation and maintenance of governance arrangements to comply with all relevant legislation and best practice to deliver an efficient, secure and accountable organisation. This includes managing Chambers’ GDPR compliance.
- Advise and assist members of Chambers in relation to governance issues including data protection compliance, professional insurance and professional registration/training requirements.
- Research and advise on potential changes to the governance of GCN.
- Be responsible for devising and implementing health and safety and environmental policies.
- Extensive relevant experience in organisational administration.
- Experienced and effective team leader and team member.
- Imaginative, self-motivated and forward thinking.
- Preferably with experience in the legal sector.
Chambers operates an equal opportunities policy and is happy to make reasonable adjustments to enable disabled candidates to demonstrate their suitability for the above position.