Pupillage applications open for October 2024
4 January 2023
Applications for pupillage with Garden Court North can now be made via the Pupillage Gateway until 23:59 on February 8 2023, entering “Garden Court North” into the keyword search.
We are inviting applications for one 12 month pupillage to commence in October 2024.
Chambers will pay pupils an award based on the current value of the real living wage for a standard 12 month pupillage – which is £22,388.60 in January 2023 – together with all earnings during the second six months.
We will discuss your preferred areas of work before commencement of pupillage but pupils are likely to find themselves concentrating on housing, immigration, criminal defence, public law and judicial review.
All applications are read and sifted by members of Chambers using a scoring system and we are looking for:
- Intellectual aptitude and potential. This may be evidenced by excellent academic achievement but is not limited to this. Other evidence of intellectual aptitude may be put forward and will be considered.
- Ability to grasp complex issues and concepts and think on their feet. Ability to present clear, concise and logical arguments and express themselves confidently and articulately.
- Evidence of interest in and commitment to working in civil liberties, human rights law, or other fields of law on behalf of those suffering from disadvantage and/or discrimination.
- Commitment to Chambers’ ethos and in particular to working with and for those who are disadvantaged by poverty and discrimination. Commitment to Chambers’ ethos may be shown by experience either within or outside the law.
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of people from different backgrounds.
- Diligence and a high level of motivation.
Applicants selected in the initial sift will be invited for interview. Interviews consist of two rounds, an initial short interview and, for those successful, a second longer interview which will include an oral advocacy exercise. We will try to let those who are selected for interview know as soon as possible. We will apply the Pupillage Gateway timetable.
Applications will be considered from prospective pupils who have not yet completed the Bar Training Course.
Reasonable travel expenses will be paid for attending interview.
More details of our pupillage can be found on our Pupillage page.